1/5 Photos of Golden Saffron Pear Chutney
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
French Tart's Note:
A deep coloured, fruity and intensely flavoured chutney. I concocted this recipe last year, when we had lots of windfall pears......and, I slipped a bit of saffron in for good measure! This chutney is delicious with ALL cheeses, but especially strong hard cheeses such as Farmhouse Cheddar, Gruyere, Comte and Cantal. It also goes exceedingly well with cold meats and charcuterie - especially cold roast Ham. Dollop it in sandwiches, add it to curry & cooking sauces.....the list is endless for this fruity chutney! It is always best eaten after at least 1-2 months; the flavours are mature and mellow. (This recipe has been posted as a special dedication for two close friends, one on RecipeZaar and one who sadly passed away recently - may all your pears be saffron pears & all your days be golden.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored & grated
- 150 g onions, peeled & finely chopped
- 150 g golden sultana raisins
- 4 oranges, juice and zest of
- 300 g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pinches saffron strands
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 50 g fresh gingerroot, grated
- 300 ml white wine or 300 ml cider vinegar
- 750 g pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 350 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1Put all the ingredients into a large preserving pan, except the pears and the tomatoes - leave them to one side for now.
- 2Simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes - stirring all the time until the mixture is reduced and syrupy.
- 3(It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and not be too runny.).
- 4Add the pears and the tomatoes and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the pears are just soft.
- 5Pour into hot and sterilised jars - seal and then store the chutney in a cool, dark place.
- 6It is better eaten after 1-2 months.
- 7This chutney keeps for up to 2 years.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Saffron Pear Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (3067 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1530.2
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2411.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 365.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 38.3 g
- Sugars 257.4 g
- Protein 11.9 g