I always double or triple this recipe because they disappear so fast. My DH eats them by the bowlfull. I use them for hor d'ouvres, on salad, with sandwiches or just as a snack treat when I open the refrigerator and see how pretty they look in the jar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pickling cucumbers, sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup peeled thin sliced fresh ginger
- 2 small dried hot chili peppers or 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (more if you like it red hot)
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrots, diagonal slices,1/2 inch thick
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1In a large nonreactive (not aluminium) saucepan, bring to a boil the ginger, chili peppers, vinegar, sugar, water and salt.
- 2Remove the pot from the heat and add the carrots.
- 3Let the mixture cool.
- 4Add the veggies to the pan, mixing well.
- 5Transfer the veggies and liquid to a 2 quart jar.
- 6Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- 8Don't eat for 3 days while they are getting perfectly pickled.
- 9Refrigerated, these pickles will last for several weeks.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingery Sweet Pickled Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 135.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g