One of my favorite vegetarian/vegan meals. It's wonderful served with a green salad and soft flatbread. I've provided directions for both stovetop and crock-pot cooking methods, although I originally found the recipe in Judith Finlayson's 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, large, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or cook 2 cups dried garbanzo beans until tender, drain, and use)
- chopped green onion
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. And diced onion and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and tomatoes, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in chickpeas, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes, lifting lid to stir occasionally.
- When serving, top each bowl with chopped green onions if desired.
- Slow cooker method: after step 3, add chickpeas to crock-pot. Pour in hot tomato mixture and stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
For the days when I want to eat meatless, this is a STAPLE. I've been making it for about a year. I make this on the stovetop exactly as written, except I add some bell peppers and mushrooms with the onion, add sriacha (hot sauce) or red pepper flakes for heat - and serve with brown rice and grated Parmesan on top. Really tasty, super healthy meal! Thanks for sharing!
This is so easy even I can do it! haha but really this is a delicious, pretty healthy, fast dish to make. I love it.
I have tried several chickpea-tomato dishes, and this is by far the best. Very flavorful, though I added about a 1/2 tsp of chili paste for some extra heat. Next time I think I'll try adding a can of coconut milk, as well. We eat vegetarian and vegan as much as we can, and this is a quick, easy, and cheap meal. It worked great in the slow cooker.