1/6 Photos of Gingery Chickpeas in Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
One of my favorite vegetarian/vegan meals. It's wonderful served with a green salad and soft flatbread. I've provided directions for both stovetop and crock-pot cooking methods, although I originally found the recipe in Judith Finlayson's 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, large, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or cook 2 cups dried garbanzo beans until tender, drain, and use)
- chopped green onion
- 1In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. And diced onion and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- 2Add garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 3Add balsamic vinegar and tomatoes, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 4Stir in chickpeas, reduce heat to low.
- 5Cover and simmer 45 minutes, lifting lid to stir occasionally.
- 6When serving, top each bowl with chopped green onions if desired.
- 7Slow cooker method: after step 3, add chickpeas to crock-pot. Pour in hot tomato mixture and stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingery Chickpeas in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.8
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 820.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g