Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This fat-free, vegan biscotti is perfect with spicy hot winter beverages. Add finely chopped pieces of crystallized ginger for even more kick! I have put the type of flour and ginger in brackets to attain better nutritional info.
- 2 cups spelt flour (spelt, use the lightest kind available)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger (crystallized, finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients separately, then mix well to combine. If the mixture is too dry and still crumbly, add a little more water half a tablespoon at a time, just until the dough will hold together in a sticky ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide in two. Shape each half into two logs about 2 inches wide. Place them on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten to about 1 inch high.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board, and cut into 1/2-inch slices on a sharp diagonal.
- Place the slices cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake for 10 more minutes. Turn them over and bake for 8-10 more minutes. Remove from oven. Biscotti may seem soft at first but they will harden as they cool.