Prep 3 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe from Ponti Seafood Grill in Seattle, Washington. Try it with Thai Curry Penne.
Make and share this Ginger-Tomato Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger in a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add tomatoes with juices and cinnamon.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chutney is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon.
- Note: Chutney can be prepared 2 days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Rewarm over low heat or bring to room temperature before using.
This was a nice chutney, but VERY sweet if you use the full amount of brown sugar. I ended up adding a little extra tomato paste to dilute the sweetness a bit and thicken it a little. I could see this complementing but Indian and Thai food, or anywhere you need a hint of sweetness to balance a spicy dish. It was quick and easy for a chutney, and I will certainly make it again.
Delicious! I made this with 1 Tbsp. ginger powder (no fresh on hand) and a large fresh tomato (trying to use it up). I also used the brown sugar I had on hand, but I'm sure it wasn't golden. I made this to help cool down a spicy Indian chicken breast I made at home (with a prepared paste from the store, I don't know what's in it) and it definitely worked. I ate it straight from the fridge, and really liked it chilled. I am trying to figure out what else to use this on, as I want to make lots more of it. It was easy, to boot. 5 star recipe!
I had the pleasure of having Thai Curry Penne with Ginger -Tomato Chutney, which included this recipe for Ginger-Tomato Chutney. It is an AMAZING flavored dish, that everyone dove into at my cooking and recipes meetup. I would have to say this dish is about my all time favorite dish that I have had for a pasta dish on Zaar. If you haven't tried it, I am telling you, YOU SHOULD! Simply amazing! Thank you for posting it for us Ginny!