1/2 Photos of Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Found on the Dessert of the Month Club Blog, this just sounds so lovely, I made it for Christmas this year, to go with Moosewood's Comprehensively Stuffed Squash, Comprehensively Stuffed Squash -- a Moosewood Recipe - you may find this wonderful blog here: http://dessertofthemonthclub.blogspot.com (Thanks to UmmBinat for pointing me in that direction!) From the blog, "My relatives have come to expect this quick, spicy sauce every year during the holidays. I try to make this 24 hours in advance of serving to let the ginger mingle. Leftover sauce is rare, but goes well with cream cheese on toast! This recipe makes 3 cups."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 oranges (juice orange) or 3 -4 clementines, chopped & zested
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries or 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 lemon, juiced & zested
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- splash orange juice
- 1Rinse cranberries. Grate 2 teaspoons zest from the orange and the lemon. Juice the lemon. Remove orange peel and seeds, chop orange into 1/2 inch pieces. Peel and grate ginger root.
- 2In a nonreactive saucepan, combine orange chunks, cranberries, grated ginger, lemon juice, sugar, and cranberry juice. At this point, I like to add orange and lemon zest, a dash of cayenne, and a little orange juice (Alternately, the zest makes a good garnish just before serving).
- 3Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, stir occasionally until thickened and most of the berries have popped:.
- 4Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl to cool, stirring occasionally, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- 5I never liked cranberry sauce until I made this one.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 73.4 g
- Protein 0.8 g