Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I don't like stew with a bunch of peppers and tomatoes (or rather, my stomach does not!). But this stew has a lot of interesting textures, even if you leave out the red pepper! It's from the "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites". I also don't like eggplant very much, but it tasted very good in this. It will surprise you. Don't leave out the fennel bulb!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small eggplant
- 3 small potatoes
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, thinly slice the bulb part only
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 red pepper (if you really want it)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Sweat the garlic, onion and salt in the oil for 5-7 minutes on a low heat in a covered pan. Stir frequently.
- While that is sweating, chop up the vegetables. First add the eggplant, then potatoes, fennel, pepper, zuchinni, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle in the dried basil now, but save the fresh to add at the end if using that.
- Increase heat and simmer for 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.