Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Squash-haters, beware! This recipe is so sweet and tasty you'll want to eat the leftovers for breakfast. (Hey, I do...) Easily doubles to serve a crowd. This is from "Disease-Proof Your Child".
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (I use thompsons)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (Tropicana Calcium Fortified, with pulp, is best, you can't taste the pulp here)
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- Soak the apricots and raisens in the juice overnight. If you forget to do this, no biggie. See below.
- Cut your squash in half, and scoop out the seeds/pulp. Place in a glass pan, cut-side down, and stab each half a few times like you would a potato. Pour on about 1 cm of water, and bake in a 325 F oven about 50 minute (medium squash) or 1 hr and 15 min (large squash- times are approximate guesses). Test with a long knife. You know it's done when it's quite soft all through, but not actually mushy.
- If you didn't soak the fruit, place it with juice in a small pot, bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Let sit, covered, while squash bakes.
- 5 minute before the squash is done, transfer the fruit mixture to a food processor or mini-chopper if you have one. Pulse a few times, then add the seeds and blend till they're slightly chopped. It should be like a thick, chunky paste.
- Turn squash halves rightside up, scoop the fruit mix in the hollow part, and cover the pan with foil or a glass lid. Bake 10-15 minutes more.
- To serve, divide squash among plates and give each a share of the fruity stuff. Mash it up together, it's really good that way!
This was a very good squash recipe. Takes a little while to bake so give yourself a little longer lead time. The fruits give it a nice sweat taste. Would make again.
OUTSTANDING ~ preparation, looks, taste ~ EVERYTHING! I added a FEW more raisins 'cause I like 'em but otherwise followed your preparation steps! I might add a spice or two another time, but the squash does taste great as is! Thanks for posting! [Tagged, made & reviewed for Please Review My Recipe cooking game]