1/1 Photo of Frijoles Negros- Crock Pot Mexican Black Beans
At last I have achieved the perfect flavour of traditional black beans with the crock pot. It takes long but it is because of the crock pot; preparation really takes you few minutes of your time. Waiting is worth it and freezing some is an excellent way to enjoy this versatile dish any day. After you have cooked them you can garnish them with diced tomatoes, fresh onion, oregano and some olive oil. If served cold it is great to add some fresh finely chopped jalapeños and some drops of lemon juice. Still hot, you can separate the juice from the beans and use it for cooking rice or just drinking it in a cup with diced avocado and sour cream. There are many ways you can enjoy black beans, this is just the starting point. Buen Provecho!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the beans for at least 8 hours. If they are old, 24 hours is great. You must change the water at least 3 times to rinse the white foam that appears in the surface.
- 2Pour the beans in the crock pot with the water, the bay leaves, the onion and garlic. (Cut in half the garlic cloves to take out the stem that germinates so it is nicer for your tummy, you can plant the stem or just through it away).
- 3Cook on high for 12-15 hours. Check the amount of water around the 8th hour and fill again if necessary.
- 4Turn of the crock pot and add the salt, stir softly and let it rest for at least 30 minute.
- 5*You can use more beans, depending of the capacity of your crock pot. It will be a nice soup that you can enjoy hot or cold. Separate the beans for using them in other recipes like fried and mashed beans.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frijoles Negros- Crock Pot Mexican Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1175.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g