1/3 Photos of Fried Cornbread
This recipe has been in my family for several generations. In Louisiana, we serve this with boiled cabbage, turnip greens, black-eyed peas, and butterbeans. It is delicious, but takes practice to make it just right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix cornmeal and salt together in large mixing bowl.
- 2Pour approximately 2 cups boiling water over dry ingredients.
- 3Mix well.
- 4After the mixture cools slightly, shape mixture into balls about the size of golfballs, one at a time. You must wet your hands with water before you make each ball.
- 5Flatten the ball with your fingers.
- 6Fry in skillet (preferably cast iron) with about 1/2 inch of hot oil.
- 7Fry until golden brown on both sides.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.2
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3458.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 15.1 g