This recipe has been in my family for several generations. In Louisiana, we serve this with boiled cabbage, turnip greens, black-eyed peas, and butterbeans. It is delicious, but takes practice to make it just right.
- Mix cornmeal and salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Pour approximately 2 cups boiling water over dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- After the mixture cools slightly, shape mixture into balls about the size of golfballs, one at a time. You must wet your hands with water before you make each ball.
- Flatten the ball with your fingers.
- Fry in skillet (preferably cast iron) with about 1/2 inch of hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.