Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I get so many compliments on this recipe every time I make it. This is a slightly spicy yet sweet basil marinara sauce. I am vegan but occasionally I make a special pot for my husband who loves it when I add a ground link of Spicy Italian Sausage to simmer in the sauce and serve it with sausage on the side.
- 30 -35 roma tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly chopped (I love a lot of basil. You may want to do a little less)
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar (to taste, I prefer it sweet too!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Wash all ingredients very well. Start with tomatoes and water over low heat in medium pot. Slowly stir in each ingredient and continue cooking and stirring for about 1/2 hour to an hour (at least, the longer/the better). If you can, refrigerate and reheat. I don't know why, but it taste better.
- Great Additions: Artichoke Hearts, mushrooms, chopped onion, etc are just a few great additions you can add to this recipe! I have tried all of these just based on what I have in the kitchen at the time, and it always comes out great!
- Note: This recipe is so versatile. Serve over pasta, I prefer linguini), vegetables, or even toasted crostini bread with a bit of mozzeralla on top. It can also be served cold over sliced toasted Italian bread as a bruschetta -- mmm.
- Tip: I worked in a family owned Italian restaurant in high-school. They said to stir continually and never let the sauce boil. I try every time but have yet to succeed.