1/3 Photos of Fresh Orange Rice
Simple and basic-orange rice with no onion or garlic, no herbs. Depending on my menu, for a more pronounced flavor I will increase the amount of orange juice; or omit the zest, etc. (But I like orange, so I almost always add more.) From 1,000 Lowfat Recipes' cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove the zest from the orange and measure out up to 2 tablespoons, if desired. Mince and set aside.
- 2To garner the maximum amount of juice from your oranges, with a sharp knife pierce the oranges about 5-6 times and microwave for 30 seconds.
- 3Juice the orange and measure out 3/4 cup; more or less according to your preference. You may need to juice another orange if two oranges don't yield enough juice. Remember that for 2 cups of rice you will need 4 cups of liquid (water/orange juice) in whatever ratio you choose.
- 4Place the rice in a pan along with the water, salt and orange juice. NOTE: *Important to stir in the orange zest at the end of the cooking time. DO NOT add the zest in with the rice while it is cooking or the rice will turn bitter.
- 5Cover pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 6Remove pan from stove; fluff rice with a fork and stir in the zest. Let stand covered for a few minutes then serve.
- 7Garnish with orange slices if desired.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Orange Rice
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.6
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 200.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g