This is a wonderful apple pie filling that you make in the fall when apples are in abundance. During the winter months, just pull a package of pie filling from the freezer, defrost, and pour into your favorite pie crust. This makes enough filling for 4 pies.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into 4 freezer containers or gallon freezer bags, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
- Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months.
- You can also make pies right away.