Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful apple pie filling that you make in the fall when apples are in abundance. During the winter months, just pull a package of pie filling from the freezer, defrost, and pour into your favorite pie crust. This makes enough filling for 4 pies.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into 4 freezer containers or gallon freezer bags, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
- Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months.
- You can also make pies right away.
Wonderful. I loved this pie, I made up the filling, put most of it in 4 single pie crusts, I ran out of flour, the rest went into a pie plate to freeze and to be put in a pie crust later. I made up one tonight for dessert with a crumb topping and it was yummy, the filling stayed together, didn't run all over the plate. The only changes I made is I used ginger, nutmeg, cloves and allspice instead of just nutmeg and putting in into pie crusts. I will top then when I pick up some more flour. I can't wait to eat it again. I made another batch of this with gala apples, I used the full amount of cinnamon and nutmeg but added 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cloves and 1/4 tsp allspice to the mixture. The filling tasted awesome. This time I got 6 pies. Four are topped with crusts 1 with crumb topping, the last one with crumb topping but with added oatmeal.
I just baked one, 375 F for 1 hr and 10 minutes. Came out perfect, no running mess.
Made this yesterday with pears instead of apples, decreased sugar to 3 cups. Have to say it was fantastic. Only used 1/2 of the pears I had on hand since I wasn't sure how it would come out. Today I'm going to do the rest! Thanks for the recipe!!!
Delicious! Now my freezer is full of apples and I can't wait to use them up! Although I kept just eating the filling whilst it was cooling as it was so yummy, so it might not make it into pies!