Prep 1 min
Cook 20 mins
White rice like the rice served at a good Chinese restaurant. Two variations are given, one fluffy version for eating with foods like stir frys, and another for making fried rice. I have met so many people who marvel at perfect white rice. It's very easy to make. Here's how...
- You will need a small pot with a lid. A capacity of 1 to 3 quarts is good.
- Bring the water to a strong boil at highest temperature.
- Add the rice to the boiling water. Swirl the rice once with a spoon so that it covers the bottom of the pot uniformly.
- Watch the rice boil until you see the bubbles form a pock-marked pattern with its vigorous boiling. This takes 1 to 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to simmer. About 2.5 out of 10 on the dial is about right on my stove. Your stove may need to be set slightly higher or lower. You want the heat to be high enough so that steam is always being formed in the pot, but not so hot that the rice scorches on the bottom of the pot.
- When the boiling dies down a bit, cover the pot and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid of the pot, and your rice is done. For your first batch, test the rice with a fork and give it a taste test. It should be fluffy and tender.
- (The texture of fried rice benefits from a firmer rice kernel. Use 1 1/2 cups of water instead of 1 2/3 cups of water to achieve this texture. When it is done, leave the lid off the pot and allow the rice to cool. Then use the cooled rice in your fried rice recipe. The cooling is optional.).
Thankyou! That was just what I needed. I am sick of messing up the rice. This was easy.
Very good rice! I made this to go along with Dry Garlic Ribs-Canadian Chinese Style. Super easy to make and it came out perfect in 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
Absolutely great way to fix rice ~ For a simple side dish, I added almost 2 cups of thawed peas & a little lemon pepper! I look forward to using this rice in other dishes as well! We appreciate you sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current round of Pick A Chef]