1/1 Photo of Fluffy White Rice
White rice like the rice served at a good Chinese restaurant. Two variations are given, one fluffy version for eating with foods like stir frys, and another for making fried rice. I have met so many people who marvel at perfect white rice. It's very easy to make. Here's how...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need a small pot with a lid. A capacity of 1 to 3 quarts is good.
- 2Bring the water to a strong boil at highest temperature.
- 3Add the rice to the boiling water. Swirl the rice once with a spoon so that it covers the bottom of the pot uniformly.
- 4Watch the rice boil until you see the bubbles form a pock-marked pattern with its vigorous boiling. This takes 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Lower the heat to simmer. About 2.5 out of 10 on the dial is about right on my stove. Your stove may need to be set slightly higher or lower. You want the heat to be high enough so that steam is always being formed in the pot, but not so hot that the rice scorches on the bottom of the pot.
- 6When the boiling dies down a bit, cover the pot and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- 7Remove the lid of the pot, and your rice is done. For your first batch, test the rice with a fork and give it a taste test. It should be fluffy and tender.
- 8(The texture of fried rice benefits from a firmer rice kernel. Use 1 1/2 cups of water instead of 1 2/3 cups of water to achieve this texture. When it is done, leave the lid off the pot and allow the rice to cool. Then use the cooled rice in your fried rice recipe. The cooling is optional.).
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fluffy White Rice
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 8.6 g