Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another one of my bizzare originals, that actually turned out wonderfully! This makes a light main dish along with a salad/raita, or a side dish with anything else! Steam the broccoli beforehand if you like to it more cooked. I like it crunchy! Oh, and I didn't make a spelling error; "FlavoUr" is right :)
- Wash the rice well.
- In a saucepan, cover the rice with 1 cup water, add a little salt (around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon), and bring to a boil.
- Now lower the flame, cover the saucepan with a lid, leaving a small gap for the steam to escape, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, melt butter in a skillet and saute the onions on medium-high heat until browned.
- Remove onions from the skillet and reduce the flame to low.
- Add 1/3 cup water to the same skillet, salt to taste, and cook the broccoli in it for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, mix well, and cook for another minute or so.
- When all the water has evaporated, add the browned onions and the cooked rice to the skillet and mix well.
- Heat through for a minute, add salt to taste, and turn off the burner.
- Add a dash of pepper and serve hot!
Anu, it was very nice! I made this for dinner tonight and mom thought(from the colour of the rice) that I'd made Chinese:) I used a small tomato(paste of) and a small onion(instead of half a medium one). I substituted the butter with cooking oil. I made the onion-broccoli mix and added white rice(cooked) to it. This was the leftover rice we'd made for lunch(about 1 1/2 cups). I had this rice with some low-fat yogurt over it. I enjoyed my meal, thanks to YOU!:)
I love anything with sauteed onions. I thought this had a complex flavor for so few ingredients. I did use a lot of fresh ground black pepper, and the broccoli has a bit of a peppery flavor, too, I think. I probably used a full teaspoon or more of butter. I just got some of that concentrated tomato paste in a tube, so it was easy to just use a little. I saw the suggestion of a raita and made a cucumber one to go with this, but I did like it plain too.
nice recipe!!! i was out of basmati & used short grain rice, although i really like basmati & will try it again with basmati the next time. used a little more broccoli than called for, less butter & tomato paste, added 2 tomatoes, diced. i did end up having to add more spices, it was just too bland for my taste. but i love how low it is in cals & fat