1/1 Photo of Flat Health Bread Baked in Oven
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
Delicious with a nice curry. You can add any additional nuts/seeds you desire. Do not know where I got the recipe so I apologise!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour or 1 1/3 cups barley flour
- 1 cup other whole-grain flour (rye, oat, buckwheat, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Grease up a flat pan (pizza or cookie sheet).
- 2In a bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- 3Make three wells in this mixture and put the oil in one, the molasses or other sweetener in another and the vinegar in the last.
- 4Pour the water over this and mix the whole thing up quickly.
- 5If required, add a bit more water in order to ensure all ingredients are moistened. Fold in any extras and plop the very thick batter (or is it a very sticky dough?) onto the greased pan and flatten out with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 6Bake at 375 for about a half an hour. It should be firm in the centre, golden on top and brown on the edges.
- 7Here are some of the variations we like to use:
- 8"Sunnyboy" - rye flour, wheat bran, whole wheat and 3 Tbs. flax (really good with strawberry jam)
- 9"Sunnygirl" - 2/3 c oatmeal, 1/3 cup soy flour, 2/3 cup oat bran, 1 2/3 cup whole barley flour, 3 tbsp flax, 2 Tbs. sunflower seed, sweetened with 2 Tbs. pureed applesauce (omit molasses), and sprinkle top with a bit of oatmeal and sunflower seeds prior to baking.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flat Health Bread Baked in Oven
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.1
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 231.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g