From North India. If you're like me & enjoy experimenting, go to the nearest Indian store (or online) & order up as many kinds of dal as you can & then find ways to use them! This was posted on a vegetarian website & I like the recipe so I swiped it to share here. Once you have the ingredients, it's a breeze to make! **The 2 hour soak time is NOT included in the cook time**
- 1⁄4 cup channa dal
- 1⁄4 cup Urad Dal
- 1⁄4 cup masoor dal
- 1⁄4 cup toor dal
- 1⁄4 cup mung dal
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 large onion, chopped, finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Rinse dals. Bring water to boil in large pot. Add dals, stir, and bring back to boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit 2 hours.
- Add turmeric and cayenne to dal and bring water to boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until dal is tender, approximately 35 minutes.
- 10-15 minutes before dal is ready, begin cooking spice mixture. Heat oil in heavy skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and garlic and fry 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cumin and garam masala and cook another minute. Add tomatoes and salt and cook until tomatoes have been reduced, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to dal and stir well. Cook 2-3 minutes more to blend flavors. Taste for salt and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot in one large bowl or in individual-sized bowls with chapati or naan.