Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is nice to come home to any time of the year.
Make and share this Festive Black Bean Soup in the Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14 1⁄2 ounces vegetable broth
- cajun seasoning
- Place beans in slow cooker. Add other ingredients. Add water just to cover.
- Cover. Cook on high 8 hours.
- Mash some of the beans for a thicker consistency. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro, and cheese or sour cream. Leftovers freeze well.
This is the best recipe I have tried in a very long time. It suggests that it is good frozen, I admit that I have never frozen food that I have cooked, so I tried it and it tastes better after being frozen. Knowing my family's tastes, I add two bell peppers and two fresh jalepenos. I also rinse the tomatoes to reduce the sodium and use a natural, preservative free broth to make it healthier, but the recipe is already plenty healthy. I wish more recipes were as consistent as this one.
I followed this recipe almost as close as I could. I didn't soak my beans overnight, never do. Used Rotel tomatos (yum), substituted jalapeno (had no green pepper) and chicken broth (had no vegatable). Also didn't have any cajun seasoning so I added hot paprika, salt, pepper & cumin. Cooked on high for about three/four hours, added some water and turned to low for another five/six hours. I also used the immersion blender on about half of it. Very, very tasty. This is a VERY easy soup to put together with things that I usually have in my cabinet. Served with sour cream and grated cheese. This and some Mexican cornbread make a soul satisfying meal.
Be prepared for this recipie to take the full ten hours to cook. That said I did find the final product rather bland. Next time I think I will add more spices and maybe hotter peppers to give it more flavor. Bacon would be good to, but then it wouldn't be low cholesterol!