I found this recipe on an internet forum - inventer unknown. It is a boiled fruit loaf- super easy, and can all be mixed in the one pot. It is well liked by children and adults, and is nice with butter (not fat free!) Aparently if cut into 15 slices, 1 slice = 1.5 weight watchers points. This is great made with gluten free flour, it is also vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 180 g pitted dates (chopped with scissors- each date 3-4 x)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 carrot, grated (medium- large)
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour (or 1 tsp baking powder per cup of normal flour)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1 grated apple, also goes well (as well as the carrot)
- 1Combine dates, brown sugar, bicarb soda and water in a pot. Bring to boil, simmer for 1-2 mins (stir a few times) then turn off heat and leave to cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius Grease a 22x 11cm tin (or use baking paper).
- 3Add carrot to date mix (I just grate straight into pot) a 1/2 or whole apple is also nice grated in too (I don't wait until date mix is totally cool).
- 4Sift flour and spices together and add to mix. (I don't- I just chuck it all into the pot! Saves on dishes).
- 5Mix well and spoon into loaf tin. You can add extra water if too dry to mix well.
- 6Bake for 40-50 minutes Use a skewer to check if middle cooked.
- 7Note- if using gluten free flour (not self raising) add 2- 2.5 teaspoons of baking powder + 1 tsp (optional) of guar gum.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fat Free Loaf (With Dates and Carrot-Yummy!)
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 135.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g