Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love tomatoes like I do, then you may enjoy this recipe. It's a quick side dish/plate filler that doesn't have too many ingredients, it's healthy and tastes nice. Original recipe calls for Roma and Plum tomatoes but I use what is in season. This recipe comes from a book called "Purely Golden Door" by The Golden Door Health Retreats.
- 6 roma tomatoes or 6 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper, freshly cracked (to taste)
- Preheat the oven at 180oC/350oF/Gas 4.
- Place tomatoes on oven tray with the cut side facing down.
- Dash over the balsamic vinegar, basil, salt, black pepper to taste.
- Bake for about 15 minutes for semi firm (still holding shape) and 30 minutes for well done (extra soft).
I had some hard "bullet" tomatoes, and this really made them tasty! I cut them in half, salt and peppered, then put them cut side down in a frypan with a little butter. I added the balsamic, then slid them on top of the fresh basil and put them in the oven. I baked them slowly for about an hour, (the men were late :) wonderful side dish with bacon and eggs! Aussie swap May2010
I do these on the grill instead of oven. Brush tops with olive oil and put them face down. When done, I then drizzle the balsamic and top with the other ingredients.
I just have to agree with my fellow chefs. This is an excellent fast healthy side dish. A real keeper.
Made for Aus/NZ swap December 2011