Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Never have I had carrots that tasted as good as this! Spices and carrot juice make this recipe. If you try it, I hope you enjoy as much as we did. BF found this recipe from a recent edition of Country Home magazine. You can either buy carrot juice or make it yourself if you have a juicer.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4-1 cup carrot juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 lbs orange carrots or 2 lbs yellow carrots, peeled and julienned or 2 lbs baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (optional) or 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- If using baby carrots, half or quarter lengthwise.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin, caraway and mustard seeds to dry skillet. Cook and stir until seeds are toasted and begin to pop, about 3 to 4 minutes. If you don't have cumin or mustard seeds, try about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon powdered and add with carrot juice in next step.
- Carefully add carrot juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced by three-quarters, about 4 minutes. Add butter and stir until just melted. Strain, discard seeds and set aside, keeping warm.
- In the same skillet, cook the carrots in olive oil over medium heat about 15 to 18 minutes (depending on whether your carrots are large or small julienne) or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Add carrot juice reduction, stir in lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with herbs to serve.
These were great carrots! I love the flavor from sauteeing them; mine got a bit brown and caramelized...yum. I couldn't taste much of the spices, though, and I did use all seeds. Still a great flavor, and easy to make. Will definitely make again!
Oh, wow! And I, too, don't like cooked carrots. I had to use powdered cumin and mustard. And DH doesn't care for caraway. But everyone at Thanksgiving was impressed by this unusually flavored dish. Many thanks!
This recipe is *awesome* and I really do not like carrots. Honestly I dislike carrots so much that I could not bring myself to buy carrot juice, instead I bought orange juice. This recipe is so very tasty and the carrots cook down and caramelised to make an awesome side dish for our lamb. Thank you so much for posting, this is a winner and one for my favourites cookbook!