Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
People have been getting confused with this title and I am SO sorry. This is not really a "stew," but more like a Goulash. I am REALLY sorry Windhorse 23 was confused about that. This recipe is my number one FAVORITE dish. Mom usually made it with meatballs made from ground lamb and raw rice, but I never ate them so I've left them out; I'll submit the meatballs separately for those of you who would like the recipe - I'll name the recipe Euvedge Meatballs. Now, this is what I consider comfort food. I would eat this over plain white rice and know that life could not get any better. This is also one of those dishes that is even better cold the next day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, cut into crescents
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 red bell peppers, cleaned and cut into 1 inch strips LENGTHWISE
- 4 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 lb green beans
- salt and pepper
- In a deep, heavy stew pot, sauté onions in oil until soft.
- Add Garlic and sauté another 30 seconds to release the flavor, but not burn the garlic.
- Stir in tomato paste and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer covered until the potatoes and green beans are done.