If you've heard about the Engine 2 Diet and want to try an Engine 2 approved recipe, here's a sample recipe to try. This is Rip Esselstyn's "Raise the Roof" sweet potato vegetarian lasagna. It's so good, he says, that he served it at his own wedding! It's also low in fat and cholesterol-free. Recipe courtesy of The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn. When I made this recipe, I only needed one box of lasagne noodles because the veggie mixture was so plentiful that I couldn't fit in another layer. The flavor is great, and I think you could use rotini noodles and bake it in a casserole dish for an easier preparation. (Leave the sweet potatoes in chunks if you do that.) Notice that the recipe doesn't call for any oil. If you use a non-stick wok, just add a little water to the bottom and it works just fine.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) package tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 (25 ounce) jarsvegan pasta sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) boxeswhole grain lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup raw cashews, ground
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté the onion and garlic on high heat for 3 minutes in a wok or nonstick pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions are limp and the mushrooms give up their liquid. Remove them to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve the mushroom liquid in the pan. Sauté the broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes and add to the mushroom bowl. Sauté the peppers and corn until just beginning to soften. Add them to the vegetable bowl.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping in paper towels. Break it up directly in the towel and mix into the vegetable bowl. Add spices to the vegetable bowl and combine.
- To Assemble:.
- Cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole with a layer of sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This way the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy. Spread the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce. Add the spinach to the second layer of sauced noodles. Cover the spinach with the mashed sweet potatoes. Add another layer of sauce, the final layer of noodles, and a last topping of sauce. Cover the lasagna with thinly sliced roma tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cashews, and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.