1/1 Photo of Egyptian Koshari
1 hr 15 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Shadya Saleh of Lotus Catering & Fine Foods (1960 Lawrence Ave. E., 416-757-8315) shares this recipe for Egyptï¿½s national dish. You can fry your own onions or buy them fried. Many Asian grocery stores sell them. Recipe found in Toronto Star website. Note: When I made this I used long grain basmati rice rather than calrose. I've never had koshari before but this substitution seemed to work out just fine. I've changed the number of servings to 10 to 12 as I agree with the reviewer that this makes a lot more than 6 servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup black lentils or 1 cup brown lentils, washed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups calrose rice, rinsed (medium grain rice)
- 3 cups water
- diced tomato (28 oz can, zaar won't recognize quantity)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups macaroni (about 1 lb/450 g)
- fried onions, to taste
- 1For Lentils and Rice, heat oil in large pot over medium, add onion and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in salt, cumin and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- 3Add lentils and 2-1/2 cups water.
- 4Raise heat to high; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-high. Boil until lentils are three quarters cooked, about 15 minutes.
- 5Add rice and remaining 3 cups water and bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 13 minutes or until rice is just cooked. (Don't overcook.).
- 7Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- 8Uncover; fluff with fork. (Makes about 9 cups.).
- 9Meanwhile, for Tomato Sauce, in medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, water, oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt, chili and pepperand bring to boil over high heat.
- 10Cook, stirring and reducing heat as needed, until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes. (Makes about 3 cups.).
- 11Meanwhile, heat large pot of salted water over high and add macaroni. Cook until al dente as per package instructions. Drain.
- 12To assemble, place portion of rice and lentils on plate.
- 13Top with portion of macaroni, then portion of tomato sauce.
- 14Garnish with onions. (Loosely, the dish should be 2/3 rice and lentils to 1/3 macaroni with a small amount of sauce and onions.).
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Koshari
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 476.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 13.3 g