Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (original has 1/2 cup!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and chopped (about 1 lb.)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, lots to taste
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups dry white wine or 2 cups vegetable broth, more if needed
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add garlic.
- Add eggplant and bell peppers and toss.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives and capers.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and cover.
- Turn heat down to very low and allow sauce to gently simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching, add more wine or water if it gets to thick.
Delish! Added an onion, and made mine with broth instead of wine since that's what I had on hand.
Excellent sauce. Served with whole wheat penne. It was even better the next day.
This is my new FAVORITE tomato based pasta sauce!!! My family and two guests LOVED it! It's very healthy and flavorful. I used broth and followed the recipe exactly as is. Thanks for a new favorite! Made for ZWT 4.