Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very easy and healthy addition to any meal. Makes a great side dish or as a dip. Also known as Baklazhanovaya Ikra in Russian. You will need a larger non-stick skillet (at least 12 inches wide and 3 inches tall). Also two hand-fulls of cherry tomatoes can be substituted for the two medium tomatoes.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 medium tomatoes (on the vine or hothouse)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (unsalted, with basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 fresh garlic cloves
- Chop and caramelize the onions on a skillet (with a little bit of olive oil) over medium heat until they are golden but not burnt.
- While the onions are cooking, without peeling the eggplant, cut it into about 1/2 inch cubes. And place in a large bowl.
- Chop the bell pepper and add to bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes and add to bowl.
- Take the cooked onions, finely chop them, and add to bowl.
- Add the red pepper flakes, salt, and finely chopped garlic to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and transfer to a 12 inch non-stick skillet.
- Pour the contents of the tomato can on top of what's in the skillet and mix it a little bit.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low/medium heat. Keep mixing the contents every 10-15 minutes to cook things evenly and prevent burning. If you notice sticking to pan, reduce heat.
- The dish is ready when most of the liquid has evaporated and all the ingredients are soft and fully cooked. Approximately 45 minutes.
- Place in fridge to cool the salad since it's best served chilled.