1/1 Photo of Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad/Caviar
This is a very easy and healthy addition to any meal. Makes a great side dish or as a dip. Also known as Baklazhanovaya Ikra in Russian. You will need a larger non-stick skillet (at least 12 inches wide and 3 inches tall). Also two hand-fulls of cherry tomatoes can be substituted for the two medium tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop and caramelize the onions on a skillet (with a little bit of olive oil) over medium heat until they are golden but not burnt.
- 2While the onions are cooking, without peeling the eggplant, cut it into about 1/2 inch cubes. And place in a large bowl.
- 3Chop the bell pepper and add to bowl.
- 4Cut the tomatoes and add to bowl.
- 5Take the cooked onions, finely chop them, and add to bowl.
- 6Add the red pepper flakes, salt, and finely chopped garlic to the bowl.
- 7Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and transfer to a 12 inch non-stick skillet.
- 8Pour the contents of the tomato can on top of what's in the skillet and mix it a little bit.
- 9Cover with a lid and cook on low/medium heat. Keep mixing the contents every 10-15 minutes to cook things evenly and prevent burning. If you notice sticking to pan, reduce heat.
- 10The dish is ready when most of the liquid has evaporated and all the ingredients are soft and fully cooked. Approximately 45 minutes.
- 11Place in fridge to cool the salad since it's best served chilled.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad/Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 590.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g