Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Martha Rose Shulman. For the vegetable trimmings, if you don't have all of them, that is fine. Just use what you have. Chard can be stalks or leaves.
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 celery, sliced
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- sliced chard leaves, stalks
- sliced parsley stems
- cleaned and sliced leek greens
- mushroom, stems
- scallion, stalks (green part)
- Add all the ingredients along with 8 cups water to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, cover partially, and simmer gently for 30 minutes or longer.
- Strain through a fine strainer; use right away or refrigerate or freeze.