This is a very easy and wholesome recipe that I adapted from hillbillyhousewife.com. It is extremely economical and filling, as well as being healthy. I serve this with a small green side salad and a loaf of fresh or garlic bread.
- Saute the onion in the oil until fragrant.
- Add the celery and carrot. Continue to saute until the whole lot is beginning to soften and smell aromatic.
- Tip in the barley and split peas. Add 8 cups of water, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes or until the legumes and grains are beginning to become tender.
- Add the tomatoes and puree. Stir and allow to simmer for another 20-30 minutes to allow flavours to meld. If it looks as if it is drying out, add a cup of water.
- Season to taste before serving.