Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fantastic recipe for curried peas, spicy, flavourful and quick! Adjust the amount of red chili powder if you want to reduce the spiciness. If using fresh peas, you might need to add a little water to cook the peas. With frozen peas, additional water is not necessary.
- 4 teaspoons coconut milk
- 3⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons ginger oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb frozen peas or 1 lb fresh peas
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut milk, red chile powder, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds; saute until onions are soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, peas, and coconut milk mixture.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot over basmati rice, chappatis, tortillas or bread.