Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the easiest, fastest, tastiest way to prepare beans. I grew up in a Mexican family and needless to say, beans are a staple of our diet. My stepmom has been making us beans like this for years. This can be done with pinto or black beans & is the perfect thing to have on hand for quick, easy and inexpensive weeknight meals. These beans are healthy and loaded with tons of protein and fiber. You can easily refry these by mashing these in a pan with a little heated oil. I usually prepare a crockpot of beans on Monday and then have them all week in burritos, on tostadas, in bean bowls with chicken or beef....there are so many things that can be done with them. I know that the amount of salt sounds like a lot but if you use less, the beans wont have any flavor...I learned this through experience!
- Rinse the beans in a colander.
- Pour beans into the crock pot and cover with water. Allow the beans to soak a few hours or overnight. Note: If you are short on time the beans do not have to be soaked but I think that it helps with the cooking.
- Add salt, garlic and onion.
- Add any water necessary to fill the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Eat and enjoy.
- Will make approx 12 cups of beans (24 1/2 cup servings).