Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is the first recipe I ever used to can apple butter. Recipe starts out with applesauce, great for any time of year. It was my first time canning and it turned out great! This would make great Christmas gifts. I gave a lot of mine away earlier this year and everybody loved it. Their only complaint: put it into bigger jars! This recipe make a dark, spicy, and sweet apple butter. Makes a great sandwich with PB. Note: 3 quarts is equal to 12 cups or 96 ounces applesauce.
- 2838.0 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 946.36 ml white sugar
- 473.18 ml brown sugar
- 78.07 ml apple cider or 78.07 ml apple juice or 78.07 ml water
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 3.69 ml ground cloves
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- Add applesauce, sugars, and cider together in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Add spices and cook on low, covered, for 3 more hours.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low for 1-4 hours or until sufficiently thickened. May take longer, depends on how thick you like it and your crock pot.
- Ladle hot apple butter into 1/2 pint or pint size canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes about 6 pints.
- If you're not into canning, this would probably freeze very well.
Because so many of the reviews commented about how sweet this turned out, I only used half the amount of sugar called for and my end result is perfect for me. This is easy and delicious and I plan to make more and use it for Christmas gifts.
i have made this for my mom who had dementia for the last three years. It was so easy and always turned out so nice. we used this to mash moms pills up and put them in applebutter and she never refused to take her medicine.
Very easy and yummy, I'll definitely be making this again next year. I used homemade applesauce made from Wolf River apples, which are pretty tart, so used the full amount of sugar called for. I also put the spices in right away at the beginning of cooking. Makes 5-6 pints, depending on how thick you cook it down.