This is the first recipe I ever used to can apple butter. Recipe starts out with applesauce, great for any time of year. It was my first time canning and it turned out great! This would make great Christmas gifts. I gave a lot of mine away earlier this year and everybody loved it. Their only complaint: put it into bigger jars! This recipe make a dark, spicy, and sweet apple butter. Makes a great sandwich with PB. Note: 3 quarts is equal to 12 cups or 96 ounces applesauce.
- Add applesauce, sugars, and cider together in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Add spices and cook on low, covered, for 3 more hours.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low for 1-4 hours or until sufficiently thickened. May take longer, depends on how thick you like it and your crock pot.
- Ladle hot apple butter into 1/2 pint or pint size canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes about 6 pints.
- If you're not into canning, this would probably freeze very well.