This salsa recipe is a my own variation of the salsa that my mother-in-law makes. I really hate store-bought salsa, so I was excited to find that she knew how to make a really easy, tasty salsa. Even though the ingredients are canned, it tastes incredibly fresh (thanks to the cilantro and lime juice.) My variation is different from my MIL's in that I added cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Hers was still very delicious without it!
- Dice/chop the onion based on your preferences. I prefer to chop mine in a food processor.
- Remove cilantro leaves from stems. Discard stems, and chop cilantro leaves or run through food processor slightly.
- If you prefer really chunky salsa, then simply mix all ingredients together.
- I prefer a more blended salsa, so I use a food processor to make my Rotel and petite diced tomatoes a bit smaller.
- I never measure the minced garlic, cumin, lime juice, salt, or pepper, so the amounts are all estimates. You can adjust to your own personal tastes.
- Enjoy! I've been known to just eat it straight from the bowl. :-).