Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A Latin American staple. Serve with rice and you've got a wonderful meal. Gourmet. Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side dish.
- 28 -30 ounces canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 ounces fresh cilantro
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 sweet pepper (italian frying pepper-halved lengthwise, stem and seeds discarded)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Puree half of beans in a food processor or blender with 1 cup water until smooth.
- Tie cilantro into a tight bundle with string.
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a 5-6 quart pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, vinegar, and 1 cup water, then bring to a boil and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add pureed and whole beans, Italian frying pepper halves, cilantro, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and remaining 2 cups water, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours (mixture will reduce and thicken).
- Remove and discard Italian pepper halves, cilantro, and bay leaves, then serve.