Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Similar to pickled beets or any other pickled vegetable. My husband and children ate these like they were candy but they wouldn't touch beets to save their lives!!
- Pare carrots and cut into 4" long sticks.
- Boil in unsalted water till crisply tender.
- Immediately place carrots into ice water to cool.
- Pack upright into sterilized jars (the smaller canning jar).
- Place 2 tablespoons of dill and 1/2 clove of garlic in each jar.
- Heat water, vinegar, salt, sugar and cayenne to boiling, fill jars and seal properly.
- Let jars cool then store.
I have made this recipe every year since 1981!!! I am not even sure where I got it from! You should try it! In the last years my recipe card had gotten pretty faded, so my sugar quantity was way off, way more than called for... as I was only guessing, but it is truly yummy even with more sugar! Now I don't have to re write my card! Thank you for sharing.
I added one whole clove, a small dill head and 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper instead of thea cayenne to each jar. This should make the carrots hotter. I haven't tasted them yet. The recipe made three pints not four. Also, one of the jars did not seal so I recommend that the jars, lids and the brine be as hot as possible and that you work quickly. The carrots have been sitting in ice water so the brine is going to cool down pretty fast.
this is a great recipe i did add a hot pepper to the brine, but these carrots are the best!