Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy. Healthy. Vegan. Crockpot. Yummy. How can you *not* want to make this? Credit goes to "Diana in Wisconsin" of the Simple Living Discussion Forums. The amount of servings depends on whether you're making this as a main dish or a side.
- Place the olive oil into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Turn the pot onto the highest setting and add the onions.
- Allow the onions warm in the oil for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the water.
- If cooking the dish all day, reduce heat to low, otherwise leave on high setting.
- Stir the dish while in the crock- If it is dry, add a little water- If it's soup-like, remove lid for a little while, or turn heat to high setting.
- It's tasty as a main meal or as a pilaf to accompany other meals- Cook for 8 hours on low or 4-5 on high.
- NOTE: Start with 5 cups water or broth- That way it won't be"mushy" if you make this recipe while you're out for the entire day- You can always add more water or broth, but it's hard to"un-mush" lentils& rice!
- Note for Vegetarian do NOT use chicken broth.
Loved this recipe, I used green lentils and brown basmatic rice with 6 cups of chicken broth. It turned out great. Topped it with a bit of cheese and chili pepper flakes because I like spicy. Will make this again and again. Thanks for sharing
Good vegan comfort food. I used the Auto setting on my crockpot which has an hour on high and the rest of the time on low. This worked well with the basmati rice and mix of brown and puy lentils that I used. In fact it probably didn't need the 4 hours that it got and I probably could have gotten away with 2-3 hours judging by the look of it before we headed off to sports practice.
I wanted to like this because it was so healthy and easy, and it smelled really good. Just didn't do it for me, though. I ended up adding a ton of hot sauce.