Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This creamy VEGAN potato soup is totally delicious. It's perfect to enjoy for lunch or dinner. Add kale, leeks, etc. to your taste. -- Came from the cookbook Everyday Wholesome Eating by Kim Wilson. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (olive or grapeseed oil works too)
- 2 onions (or leeks)
- 3 -4 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 potatoes, cubed (with or without skins peeled)
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon dill (optional)
- Sauté chopped onions and celery in oil over high heat for 3-5 minutes in a large pot.
- Add rest of vegetables, water, thyme, and basil. Cook over medium heat until tender (this takes about 30 minutes).
- Purée in blender or food processor until smooth and pour back into pot.
- Add the rest of the seasonings and salt, and simmer over low heat for an additional 10 minutes.
- Variation: Break 1 bunch kale into small pieces, steam, and add to soup in the last 10 minutes.
- Variation: Purée just one half of soup for a more chunkier version.
With all the soups I've been making while PAC is in full swing, I had to cut this recipe in half, but other than that, the recipe was followed right on down, & was definitely had a delicious potato soup! Loved the inclusion of leeks in this & will be making it again, for sure! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
This is delicious - I omitted the oil and sauted my onion, celery and garlic in EVOO cooking spray to lighten it up and make it a Weight Watchers Core recipe. The dill definitely makes this over the top. Thanks!