2 hrs 7 mins
This is delicious with a side of fresh salad (baby romaine topped with gourmet black olives & goat milk feta cheese) for a lovely light meal. This is even good without the potatoes, I sometimes add more water in as well. From the Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pick over split peas, discarding any that are discoloured. Wash in several changes of cold water.
- 2Place in a deep pan and add the amount of water stated.
- 3Put on medium heat and bring to a boil, skimming when necessary. When boiling reduce heat to low and cover pot and simmer gently for one hour without stirring.
- 4Peel potatoes and cut into small dice leave in some cold water on the side so they do not dicolour.
- 5In a small pan fry onion in olive oil until lightly flecked with brown.
- 6Add potatoes, onion and oil to split peas. Cover and simmer for a further hour or until peas and potatoes are very soft. Do not stir during cooking as this can cause scorching.
- 7When cooked stir in sea salt to taste and puree. (I use a blender).
- 8Serve in deep plates with lemon wedges to be squeezed to individual taste. Additional olive oil is often drizzled onto the puree. Serve with a side of fresh salad topped with gourmet black olives & feta for a lovely light meal.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cypriot Split Pea Soup (Louvana) (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.1
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.6 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g