Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've been fascinated with yellow split peas lately. I found this in my 365 Low Fat Recipes cookbook. This would freeze well.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups dried split yellow peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add ginger, cumin, curry powder, turmeric, coriander and cayenne. Cook, stirring, 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Add yellow split peas and 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until split peas are soft, about 45 minutes.
- Add spinach and salt. Cook until spinach wilts, about 1-2 minutes. Soup will thicken upon standing. Add additional water to thin.
I just didn't care for it, ultimately. The soup turned out watery and thin, and just not very good. It was missing something- maybe coconut milk? I doubled the spices as a previous poster suggested and used broth instead of water, and I still found the flavor to be lacking.
I like the spices in this. It's a good curry recipe, but next time I will double the spices. My family likes their food spicy. Thanks for sharing.
I made this in my crock pot so I didn't use the oil and because of that I doubled all the spices but left out the salt. I also added a couple of carrots, celery stalks, and a sweet potato. This will be my standby split pea curry, it's fantastic!!!! Thanks.