1 hr 25 mins
I developed this recipe through years of experimentation. It was based on a cheap dish that a former roommate showed me to make. He said that it litterally cost pennies a bowl. He just boiled a bag of yellow split peas and added spicy curry powder until the taste was right. I needed a little bit more of a fragrant flavour. It's still inexpensive to make and good to freeze. You can top it with some sour cream and/or avocado before serving to mellow the spice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g dried split green peas (you can use yellow too, but I find the green peas softer)
- 11 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground dehydrated onion (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large pot on low heat, warm olive oil with the spices (chili flakes, cumin, curry, corriander, onion powder).
- 2Stir to form paste. DO NOT let the mixture burn!
- 3Add onions, shallots, green onion and garlic. Mix so that nothing burns. This will take maybe five minutes.
- 4Add half of the chopped corriander.
- 5Rinse split peas in cold water, drain and add to pot. Stir immediately.
- 6Turn heat to high.
- 7Add the water and stir well.
- 8Cover, bring to a boil for 10 minutes then turn heat to medium-low for another 50 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- 9Add the rest of the cilantro in the last 15 minutes.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Serve or pack away for freezing.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Split Pea Soup With Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 11.4 g