I found this on the Post Punk Kitchen website. It has a nice delicate flavour, lacks msg, and is super cheap to make. I use 1 tsp of salt but the recipe calls for two.
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Saute the onions in the olive oil at medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and spices. Saute 2 more minutes.
- Add the water and stir well. Add the split peas. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Bring heat back down to medium, let soup simmer for about an hour, until peas are tender. Grate in the carrot and serve. You can garnish with fresh cilantro if you have it on hand.