Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my favorite soups. It's tasty and easy to make. From Williams-Sonoma Collection "Healthy First Courses": For a vegetarian version, replace beef stock with vegetable stock. For a creamier soup, puree half of it in a food processor or blender and stir back into the pot.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered lengthwise, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces canned tomatoes, diced with juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf. Saute until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes with juice, curry powder, lentils, and beef stock.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook over medium-low heat until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well.
- Place spinach leaves into individual serving bowls.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls with spinach.