Enduring Gastronomy's Note:
One of my favorite soups. It's tasty and easy to make. From Williams-Sonoma Collection "Healthy First Courses": For a vegetarian version, replace beef stock with vegetable stock. For a creamier soup, puree half of it in a food processor or blender and stir back into the pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered lengthwise, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces canned tomatoes, diced with juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a large pot over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- 2Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf. Saute until softened (about 5 minutes).
- 3Add tomatoes with juice, curry powder, lentils, and beef stock.
- 4Bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook over medium-low heat until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).
- 5Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well.
- 7Place spinach leaves into individual serving bowls.
- 8To serve, ladle soup into bowls with spinach.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Lentil Soup With Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.9
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 629.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 11.9 g