This is a simple vegetarian curry dish that you can make as spicy or as mild as you like. Please feel free to experiment with the spices, or try different types curry powders to suit your taste.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (I usually take a 2 inch piece of ginger and run it over my microplane grater)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 1 cup water
- fresh black pepper
- 1 cup fresh peas (can use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes, about 1 inch.
- Place potatoes in bowl of water until ready to use.
- Place mustard seeds in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook until they begin to pop (1-2 minutes) Add the oil, onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onions begin to soften.
- Next add the spices cook until their fragrance intensifies.
- Keep stirring.
- Drain potatoes and add to pan along with the cauliflower florets.
- Stir well to coat everything with the spices.
- Add the cup of water and cook covered until the potatoes are just about tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Next add the peas and cook uncovered until tender, and until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- (3-5 more minutes) Add chopped cilantro and serve.