Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a quick and easy cold soup that makes use of summer's ripe tomotoes and fresh corn.Using ice cubes in the preparation cools it quickly and it's low calorie and low fat- a real plus!Vary the flavor by using cilantro one time and basil the next- we like both!Sometimes I add use a mixture of red and green bell peppers to add more color. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
- 4 cups tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 6 ice cubes
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion, white part only. Reserve green tops for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno, seeds and veins removed.Use more if you like more heat
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn, husked and kernels cut from cob (about 1/2 c.)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled seeded, and sliced thin, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons scallion tops, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, ice cubes,white part of scallions, basil or cilantro, jalepeno, and garlic in a blender or food processor and process until mixture is pure'ed.
- Sprinkle cumin into a small skillet and heat, stirring, over low heat, just until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add to tomato mixture and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in corn,bell pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Taste and correct seasonings as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with avocado slices if desired.
- Sprinkle with scallion tops and basil or cilantro and serve.