Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a quick and easy cold soup that makes use of summer's ripe tomotoes and fresh corn.Using ice cubes in the preparation cools it quickly and it's low calorie and low fat- a real plus!Vary the flavor by using cilantro one time and basil the next- we like both!Sometimes I add use a mixture of red and green bell peppers to add more color. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion, white part only. Reserve green tops for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1/4 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno, seeds and veins removed.Use more if you like more heat
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn, husked and kernels cut from cob (about 1/2 c.)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled seeded, and sliced thin, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons scallion tops, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1Combine tomatoes, ice cubes,white part of scallions, basil or cilantro, jalepeno, and garlic in a blender or food processor and process until mixture is pure'ed.
- 2Sprinkle cumin into a small skillet and heat, stirring, over low heat, just until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add to tomato mixture and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- 3Stir in corn,bell pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- 4Taste and correct seasonings as needed.
- 5Ladle into bowls and top with avocado slices if desired.
- 6Sprinkle with scallion tops and basil or cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cumin-scented Tomato and Corn Soup
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 306.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g