Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my favorite types of sushi. I normally make this into "fat rolls" or Futomaki. If you are not familiar with Wasabi start with a little as you can always add more if needed. Serving size will vary depending on the thickness of your sushi. Cooking time does not include time for cooking rice
- Cut the cucumber lengthways into four and scoop out the seeds.
- Depending on preference, slice each quarter lengthways into thick or thin strips.
- On your work bench lay out a sushi mat or cling film (you can also roll by hand - which i find much easier).
- Place a sheet of nori on your workspace shiny side down.
- Put a layer of rice on your nori leaving a gap of approx 1 inch around the sides. (how much or how little rice you put on depends on your personal preference, just beware! your roll may end up morbidly obese instead of just fat).
- On the side closest to you put a line of wasabi paste on the rice - use your finger to do this.
- Place the cucumber strips on top of the wasabi.
- Fold the nori "lip" nearest to you over and begin rolling up the sushi like a swiss roll. Everybody rolls sushi in a different way, find what works best for you.
- Gently wet the last "lip" of the nori and stick it to the outside of the rolled log.
- Roll log onto its seam and leave for a few minutes.
- Dip a sharp knife into cold water and allow the excess to drp off but do not dry.
- Slice the log into pieces, I like a 1/2 inch slice personally. Make sure you dip and drip between each cut.
- Arrange on a plate and serve with either shoyu or tzatziki.
I love cucumber rolls, but I never thought to put the wasabi in the roll. I always made the sushi with just the cucumber and then put the wasabi into the soy sauce for dipping. It is much, much better this way. You get a more even flavor of wasabi instead of some mild bites and some supersonic, clear your sinuses bites. I used Sushi Rice to make the sushi rice to go with this recipe. Thanks for the great idea PinkCherryBlossom. Made for Jan. 2011 Bargain Basement Tag Game.