Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great recipe for Cuban-style black beans. To be served over white rice.
Make and share this Cuban Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 10 cups water
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak beans and 10 cups of water overnight with 1 bell pepper, seeded and halved.
- The next day, bring that pot to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- While the beans are simmering, chop onion, green pepper and garlic and add to a frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until soft.
- After beans have cooked for 1 hour, take one cup of beans and liquid, process in blender and add to the pan with softened onion and pepper. Allow it to reduce and then dump it all into the pot with the beans. Add all other ingredients and cook until the beans are soft and they are the consistency of runny oatmeal.