1/2 Photos of Crusty French Bread
2 hrs 10 mins
I adore this recipe for it's simplicity and versitility! I have added everything from cinnamon sugar to garlic and cheese to this bread, and it still turns out beautifully every single time! If you have the time, this bread really benefits if allowed one single, overnight rise covered in the fridge. The yeast flavors develop perfectly, and the texture is much nicer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof the yeast in the water and sugar.
- 2Knead in salt and flour until dough is well-developed.
- 3Let rise until double in size.
- 4Knead down gently, and allow to rise again.
- 5Form dough into two loaves and drop into greased bread pans. Allow to rise again.
- 6Bake at 400* until the loaves pull away from the pan edges, and sound hollow when tapped.
- 7*For really beautiful loaves, egg wash each toward the end of baking time with 1 well-beaten egg plus 1 TB of water.*.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.9
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 117.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.4 g