Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An awesome vegetarian chili I found on another site and modified quite a bit. It can be made in the crock pot, if you have a large one, or on the stove, otherwise. Very little work, but a lot of taste!
- 1 (19 ounce) can black bean soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb vegetarian ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 6 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms, diced
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 -8 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- In a slow cooker, combine black bean soup, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, baked beans, tomatoes, corn, onions, bell peppers, jalepenos and mushrooms.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and salt.
- Cook for at least two hours on High.
- Alternatively, cook vegetables in a small amount of oil in a large pot on medium heat for 10 minutes; add all other ingredients, bring to a simmer and cook 1-2 hours until flavours have combined and vegetables are soft.
Love this! I used Fantastic Foods Vegetarian Taco Mix in place of the vegetarian ground beef (it's basically seasoned TVP); since that's seasoned I used regular black beans instead of the soup. I also reduced the jalepenos so my little ones wouldn't cry. This is a very delicious, versatile recipe, and I plan to make it a lot this winter! Thanks for yet another excellent recipe, Katzen!
Wow -- so delicious and healthy as well. I added one teaspoon of ground cumin, but other than that I followed your recipe exactly as written. It turned out fabulous. The sauce had just the right amount of chili powder in it for our taste, and when cooked in the chili mixture for 2 hours on top of the stove, the soy protein veggie crumbles I used tasted just like hamburger. I chopped up the veggies the night before so it only took a few minutes this morning to put everything in my Dutch oven and begin cooking it. This is one chili recipe I'll most definitely make again.
Very good -- even though I cut the recipe down a bit to fit into the crockpot (cooked on low for 4 hours then it went to warm for another 6 hours or so). I skipped the baked beans, 2 bell peppers, 1 mushroom and only used 3 jalapenos (personal preference) and still it was hot enough for us! Thanks for sharing!