This recipe is the crock pot adaptation of Mrs Falafel's Lentil and Apricot Soup from the alt.food.vegan newsgroup. It must be one of the most popular recipes ever to come up in that group and it is also superb and even easier in the crock pot. I throw it all together before work and eat it about 8 hours later. The apricots mush down and all it needs is a quick stir before serving. PS. Auto setting on my crockpot is one hour on high and then the rest on low.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 4 1⁄3 cups water or 4 1⁄3 cups stock
- 2 slices fresh ginger, thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 pinch chili powder or 1 pinch chili flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot
- lemon juice or lemon salt, to taste
- salt and pepper
- chopped cilantro, to taste, for garnish
- Wash and drain lentils.
- Chop up everything that requires chopping and throw the lot in the crock pot.
- Cook on the AUTO setting of the crock pot Garnish with cilantro when serving.
- Really nice with crusty bread!